Negros in Grey :: Forums :: General :: Negros in Gray

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Request for help
Moderators: gpthelastrebel, 8milereb, Patrick
Author Post
gpthelastrebel
Mon Jul 18 2011, 06:38PM

Registered Member #1
Sent to me by Tom Wise. Any info appreciated.

GP

I have a good story for you, have not did the research on this yet but I have first hand information. A man I used to work with is descended from some slaves that were on a farm in Meriwether county in Georgia. This story has been handed down for over 100 years. "There was a doctor living in LaGrange, Troup County, Georgia named Wimbish (or Wimbush, the name seems to have been passed down each way) Dr. Wimbish owned a very large farm in upper Meriwether County, that was used for growing cotton. He owned several slaves that worked the farm, and lived there on the farm. Sometime in 1864 Dr. Wimbish went to the farm, freed all the slaves (who was already living without direct supervision), after he made them all free, he deeded all his land there to his former slaves. As soon as this was all taken care of and legal, he left and to this day no one knows where he went or what ever happened to him. My friend Tyrone Harris and his family still own the same land, and most of them actually live there. Tyrone just build a house on part of the original property a few years ago, and I wired his new house for him. I was able at that time to see how massive the property is, and what a great family he has. Some members of his family have tried in vain to find out what happened to Dr. Wimbish, some believe he went north after the war, some believe he died soon after deeding this property, some think they have found a short trace of him. They believe he moved to the Atlanta area to help in caring for the wounded from the battles near there, and he got some kind of disease and died. But all the family is extremely proud of Dr. Wimbish, his kindness while he owned the slaves and especially his kindness in giving them the land that they had worked for so many years. Hopefully soon I can get to the Troup County, and Meriwether County archives and see what I can find on this Doctor.

[ Edited Mon Jul 18 2011, 06:52PM ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF