Negros in Grey :: Forums :: General :: Negros in Gray

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
An Interesting letter-- condition and treatment of Union negroes
Moderators: gpthelastrebel, 8milereb, Patrick
Author Post
gpthelastrebel
Wed Oct 19 2011, 02:50PM

Registered Member #1
Just posted this to Confederate Officers letters page 2.

GP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is common to hear of the abuse, real or imagined, a Negro trooper endured while serving in the Confederate army. Rarely does one ever hear of the abuses Negroes suffered under Union Commanders. Here is an excellent example. I had three different people review this letter and give me their thoughts on the content. All agree this letter was written by a Confederate, addressing Union forces on Padre Island
George Purvis

The following November (1863) Union forces captured Brazos Island near the southern tip of Padre Island. On November 18, a large body of Union troops including the 13th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment sailed up to Corpus Christi Pass and landed on Mustang Island, moving on to assault the Confederate garrison at Aransas Pass, about thirty miles away across from the northern end of Mustang Island. After minor skirmishing, the Union forces prevailed. The forces pushed on north to Matagorda Island, but soon had to be withdrawn to participate in campaigns elsewhere in the Gulf.
(http://www.nps.gov/pais/historyculture/civil-war.htm)

Headquarters
Expedition Forces, Line of Nueces
Banquete, March 23, 1864

Col. John S. Ford
Commdy Ex. Forces C.S. P. A.(?)
San Antonio

Col.
I have received the following information which deeming of importance in the absence Maj. Nolan. With a reconnaissance to the front and west I consider proper and necessary to communicate to you. The source I believe to be reliable. ------------------------

------------------ The forces at present on Padre Island numbers about 360 soldiers and about 120 Negroes in command of Maj. Thompson. The Negroes are armed but serve in the works only in case of a fight; at all other times they are worked hard as laborers or servants and receive $9.00 a month ??????? Backs and soldiers rations & clothing; they are all treated as menials and are dissatisfied. The command has not been paid for eight months and all are ragged and dirty and many of them are barefoot.
-----------------------------
I have the honor to be Sir,
Very respectfully you Obt Servt.
Jas. (Chas.?) Lovenskiold

[ Edited Wed Oct 26 2011, 06:41PM ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF